Sunday 19 April 2009

Illegally downloading




This blog is based on the recent event where "four men [were found] guilty of promoting copyright infringement by running Pirate Bay, the world's biggest free file-sharing website, and sentenced each to a year in prison".
To be honoust, I used Pirate Bay. Used and not use, because I have the feeling they are really tracking my movements here ate university halls when I'm on the internet, and I'm not looking forward to getting a fine. I had no idea something like this would happen, I always had the impression that the people behind Pirate Bay knew what they were doing and wouldn't get caught for it. Otherwise, why would they run such a popular site without getting caught earlier?
Enough about that, I'm no law student and want to talk about downloading. It seems to me that almost everybody (of a certain age, the older people get, less likely it get's that they're doing it) is downloading nowadays. If not movies, then definetely songs. Sure, people still buy cd's, but if you are interested in hearing just one song it is silly to spend that much money on a whole cd for just one track. And yes, you can buy one song online, but I think still most people download.
But what is the difference from 10 years earlier? I remember myself recording songs from the radio on a tape. And when a friend of mine had a cd I liked, I copied songs to a tape as well. How is that different from downloading a song from the internet? You are still "stealing" it from a different source. I'm not sure if it was legal to record songs on tape earlier, but in my eyes it is about the same. The only difference is that with the radio-recording, you would have to wait untill you're favourite song came by, and with downloading you can get to that song immediately.
Besides, if you look at the idiotic amounts of money that the singing celebrities have nowadays, I do not want to contribute to that. So what if they have to work an extra year to be able to buy that expensive car, other people have to work and save as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment