Wednesday 22 April 2009

Litter




Litter: small items of rubbish that has carelessly been dropped or left in public areas. According to the article (url above), "the amount of rubbish on the UK's beaches has reached its highest level ever". I don't really want to talk about beaches, since I don't live near one and hardly ever go see them. My inspiration is last night, when I hear people standing outside our building. They were laughing, drinking, having fun, but they were also smashing glasses to the ground. And this when there is a big container 2 steps away, where they could have thrown the glasses in.

Glasses aren't really on my mind either. I am surprises how clean it is in Wolverhampton, seeing that there aren't too many litterbins. This was even more extreme in London, where I was forced to walked around for 25 minutes with an empty cardboard Starbucks cup because I did not run into any litterbins. And still it wasn't extreme littered there (that is, the places where I walked by). However, if you take the train to Birmingham you will run into a completely different story. At one point, there is more rubbish than grass to be found next to the rails. I don't think the community has any plans to clean this up, since the amount of litter thas has been lying there since january hasn't changed.

Littering starts with little things like throwing you gum on the street instead of in a litterbin. Or throwing you cigaret on the ground and leave it there. Sometimes I catch myself doing something like that, but most of the times I try wait with throwing gum away 'till I find a litterbin. And I can tell you, it is really not that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment